UA-24914417-1
back to search results
Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 15 of 188
< Prev Next >
20160709_Hastings_travel_stock_rNBS-9156.jpg
The East Hill Lift (or East Hill Cliff Railway) in action. The line was opened in 1903 by Hastings Borough Council. The line was originally operated on the water balance principle, and the twin towers of the upper station contained water tanks for this purpose. The line was modernised between 1973 and 1976, during which time it was converted to electric operation and new cars were provided.