back to search results
Image 16 of 73
< Prev Next >
The ascending East Hill Lift car, as seen from the descending car, Hastings. The line was opened in 1903 by Hastings Borough Council. The line was originally operated on the water balance principle, and the twin towers of the upper station contained water tanks for this purpose. The line was modernised between 1973 and 1976, during which time it was converted to electric operation and new cars were provided.